Machinist for an industrial material handling automation systems with emphasis on robotic and vision-based solutions. Position will require the individual to machine parts to print/sketch using a variety of manual/CNC machine tools. Work with Production Manager to order required supplies and determine what parts can be made in-house and still meet schedule. Must be able to work independently.
- Performs all tasks in a safe and responsible manner.
- Reads and interprets blueprints.
- Uses gages and measuring instruments to meet tolerance requirements.
- Uses precision tools, machinery, and equipment such as lathe, vertical bed mill, drill press, chop saw, band saw, and a variety of cutting tools and equipment.
- Fabricates and shapes parts such as tools and machine parts out of metal, plastics, and composites to required tolerance.
- Properly and safely selects, aligns, secures, and removes holding fixtures, cutting tools, attachments, accessories, and materials onto machines
- Recognizes, deploys, and properly uses inserts, fixtures, and tooling
- Performs daily and regular cleaning and light maintenance tasks on machinery and equipment
- Ability to plan workflow to meet project schedules
- Safely operate fork truck for material workflow.
- Overtime may be necessary as workload dictates (weekdays or weekends).
- When machine shop volume is slow, ability to assist mechanical assembly techs with machine assembly.
- Occasionally will be required paint fab parts.
- Good organization skills and the ability to function with minimal supervision.
- Ability to program a Prototrak SMX controller on a SWI bed mill.
- High mechanical aptitude.
- General knowledge of:
- Estimating time and materials for machining jobs
- Machining techniques, tools, and principals to machine parts to print.
- Understanding of part tolerance and the requirements to meet those tolerances.
- Machines and tools, including their design, uses, repair, and maintenance.
- Familiarity with OSHA safety requirements.
- Ability to travel to support installation of equipment (when required to support mechanically assembly techs).
- Previous experience required.
- Must have own tools.
Effectively communicate and understand job instructions both verbally and written in the English language. Ability to effectively interpret and translate instructions to other employees in a professional and respectful manner.
Ability to perform basic mathematical computations. Ability to apply concepts such as fractions, percentages, ratios, and proportions to practical situations.
Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts and draw valid conclusions. Ability to interpret an extensive variety of technical instructions in mathematical or diagram form and deal with several abstract and concrete variables.
Ability to move or transfer products with a forklift. Ability to lift 50 lbs. when required. While performing the duties of the job, the employee is regularly required to stand, walk, and reach with hands and arms. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.